1.06.2012

Discipline - My "word" for 2012

"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment"

It's a new year and while most might cringe away from the idea of "resolutions", I love the idea of a new start. Sometimes a new year is just the motivation I need to make some changes in my life, and let's face it...we all have changes we can make. If there is a perfect person out there, I have yet to meet one. 

I like to choose one word that encompasses much of what I want to focus on each year and this year it really came down to one thing...discipline! I am lacking in self-discipline in many areas, including (but not limited to) health, spirituality, money, and more. I have to learn to discipline myself in all of these areas and I have come up with specific goals to help me. I also want to learn how to discipline (or teach or guide) my children in a more Christlike way. It is important to me. I love this quote from Marion G. Romney, which really hit me hard and helped me realize how I want my household to be. It also shows me how to achieve that kind of home:

“I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from the Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity—the pure love of Christ—will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1980, 90; or Ensign, May 1980, 67).

Our family reads the Book of Mormon together, but do we do it prayerfully and regularly? No. That is going to change. Not only that, but I have already begun a more serious study of the Book of Mormon on my own. I am using a scripture journal from "The Redheaded Hostess" to write down my thoughts, questions, and insights, and to keep as a record for my children and for myself. In the short time I have started this study (less than a week), I have already felt a tangible difference in my own happiness and contentment. 

I have set a goal to work out at the YMCA Monday through Friday, and to cut back almost entirely on sugar. I'm not cutting it out completely (I have got to be honest with myself) but I am cutting back..a lot. I'm stocking healthier snacks (i.e. fresh veggies and fruits) in the fridge and taking a small amount of time to make sure they are washed and sliced for easy access. I am also going to start tracking what I eat, and drinking more water. I hope I'll see some results soon.

As for money, my husband and I are working out a budget that works for all of us, with possibly changing to a cash system for our groceries and every day spending. Have you tried this? Does it work?

So, discipline is my word. Look out 2012..I'm going to take you by storm!

If you want a copy of this 4X6 print, feel free to click on it, then save it for yourself. I think it's a great reminder for everyone, regardless of whether it's  your "word" for 2012. I'd love to hear what your resolutions are, or what your focus will be this year!




Photobucket

8 comments:

M said...

Hey Bobbi, great goals!

I changed over to cash for everyday spending and WOW what a difference! I use the Jar system from Til Debt do us Part, and it has totally changed the way we handle our money.

You can go to: http://www.gailvazoxlade.com/resources/interactive_budget_worksheet.html and it will show you how to break it down into your weekly jars, but I now longer have to worry about what is in the bank account, or that hubby will spend grocery money on an oil change.

Didnt mean for this to sound like an ad, but it truly is amazing!

Email me at malauney@hotmail.com if you have any questions about it.

Kendra said...

We don't use the cash system, but if your having a hard time with "extra's" in your cart then it seems like a good way to go!
We do meal plan though. Every week I look at the ads a few grocery stores and decide where I'll shop that week depending on the sales. Then I plan meals around whats on sale. I write down exactly what i'll need for meals, lunches, whatever snacks are on sale ..... and then I buy only those things. You know what you need, so you can get in and get out :) Saves us time, and money!

Shirley said...

I'm a WW leader, and I'm always looking for encouraging and inspiring quotes. Thank you this is superb.

Lisa Johnson said...

My One Little Word for the year is H.O.P.E. and I am using that acronym to stand for the following phrases:

*Highlights Of Personal Experience (documenting every day with Project Life)
*Healthiness Offers Peaceful Enjoyment
*Heart Open, Please Enter

Thanks for sharing your word and that cute artwork you put together. ♥

Caley said...

LOOOOVE this quote and they way you designed it graphically with the bridge. Your work is so beautiful! Good luck on your goals this year!

Amber said...

I'm currently struggling in the same areas & discipline is the PERFECT word to describe what I need to be! Thanks! Good luck this year!

Kathy T. said...

Love Elder Romney's quote! Check out this... http://pinchthepenny.blogspot.com/2010/01/new-wallet-new-way-of-saving-money.html

This is where I got my inspiration for my envelope system and made one with some cute heavy, two-sided scrapbook paper.

I feel more in control when I use the envelope system. Good luck!

Mary said...

I like your new word fr this year. Discipline can be a tough thing to do but I just know you can do it. I thank God that I have lots of discipline when it comes to my health.

I have not posted my new word yet but will. :)

Mary