6.27.2012

Mammatus Clouds!

Have you ever heard of something called "Mammatus Clouds"? Until last night, I hadn't. But, after a crazy severe thunderstorm, my husband looked up and, with his iPhone, snapped this shot:

According to Wikipedia: "When occurring in cumulonimbus, mammatus are often indicative of a particularly strong storm or maybe even a tornadic storm." In our case, a tornado had touched down just a few kilometers out of town and we experienced perhaps the most severe thunderstorm I can remember. I guess the conditions were perfect to create these cool clouds extending over the entire city. It was magnificent to behold! And now you know what Mammatus clouds are! LOL!

Photobucket

6 comments:

Lynn said...

Yikes! They look rather scary. I think I would of been freaking out wondering if we needed to escape from a tornado or not.

VERY COOL photo! Good job Lyndon!

Sherri B. said...

These clouds are incredible! What an amazing capture - thank you for sharing!

Lyndon Grunewald said...

Thanks Lynn, you can check out all the pictures I took on Facebook. You might have to use your kids account though. I only wish I had Bobbi's camera for the shots instead of my iPhone.

Unknown said...

They are very beautiful! What a great photo

Trina said...

Very cool. I have never seen these, so thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Amazing capture and good to know!